Cottage Cheese, Honeycomb Crunch
Allergens – nuts, dairy, sugar, citrus, eggs
Ingredients for the muffin:
- 200 g white granulated sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 250g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the icing:
- 160 g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180C fan. Grease and line muffin tins with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then add the yolks, one at time until fully combined and the mixture looks fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, zest and juice and beat until incorporated.
- Mix the almond meal, baking powder and salt together then add to the butter and egg mixture in 3 parts, mixing gently between each addition.
- Now, whisk the egg whites until soft peak stage. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the batter and mix through. Add the last 2/3 in 2 parts, but just fold through in gentle, measured folds until all combined. Keep the mixing to a minimum to keep as much air in the mix as possible.
- Bake for around 15 / 20 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick comes out with just a moist crumb or two.
- Allow to cool for half an hour before removing from the tins. Transfer to a cake plate and allow to cool completely.
- For the icing: Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar, then pour over the cake. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Serve with a ramekin of cottage cheese and honeycomb